Saturday, April 6, 2013

Fantasizing about Food

Nothing huge to report this week. I had my classes, planned my lessons, did a whole lot of walking, and ate boring meals.
        As this was my first week in my new apartment, I did realize that it's only a 30 minute walk from my office, so guess who's now going to save metro card money and burn off calories every day?! :D I found that I like walking here, as long as it's not desperately sunny or really hot. I've gotten lots of color and even lost some weight since!! Though that won't last long if I keep eating my Easter huevos (eggs) that I got during rebajas (sales). I wouldn't call 30% much of a sale, but maybe they're not as awesome as we are back home in terms of liquidating holiday candy.
    My meals this week have been sub-par, in spite of the significant hours I have spent online on Pinterest, Real Simple and most recently on Chrissy Teigen's food blog. Let me tell you, she is one hysterical chick! Mostly my excuses stem from not wanting to spend cash/ not having any left before my paycheck on Friday and not feeling like cooking anything without Jess here. (Btw, she is a PHENOMENAL writer, check our her Chile blog too!) I'm too unmotivated on my own :/ But, she'll be here in one more week, so until then I'll stick with my garlic-and-whatever-kind-of-pasta-is-left-in-my-grocery-bag dinner.
     In terms of cashing my check, the process was relatively simple, but longer than I expected. Fellow Chilean teachers, when your check is ready, haul your butt over to the office and then immediately to Santander around the corner! We waited in line about a half hour, just to cash our checks. Luckily, we didn't have to say anything to the cashier, because I had a little moment of blind panic right before my turn (Oh god, how do you say cash a check? I want money? Give me cash?? HOW DO YOU EVEN SAY CHECK?!?!? it's cheque fyi. Hence, the unnecessary panic.) The only thing I even needed to respond with was whether I wanted it in 10,000 peso bills or 20. When we have a full paycheck, I recommend 20 people. That's a lot of tens otherwise... Done with my turn, I of course didn't want the teller to think I didn't trust her, so I moved to the little mini desks before I re-counted the money on my own (yes she counted it in front of me, yes I am paranoid you're right. That's why I wore my lame gringo money belt under my shirt and tucked the shirt into my belt when I was done hiding all that cash away. My thin cotton fabric tank top WILL prevent robbers from stealing my salary!) The best part was I had already forgotten the amount on the check so as to the number I was trying to check, I don't even know anymore. It was Friday, give me a break.
     And now this post is much longer than I intended it to be, huh. Go me! Enjoy your weekends everyone and know that I slaved away on my Saturday night in to write this for you all ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment