Monday, April 1, 2013

The Suite Life of Deirdre and Jess

     Ok, so it's not exactly a hotel suite or anything, but it's mine! My own little room, a space to call my own, my own little corner with my own little chair (actually there's no chair-it wouldn't fit!), whatever other clichés or songs you want to throw in, put them in the comments please :)
     Last night, I officially moved into my new room, and while it's tiny, one of my FAVORITE things to do, as anyone who has ever met me knows, is organizing. Thus, my Easter Sunday evening was spent arranging and rearranging my little closet in my room, and putting toiletries into my personal bathroom. It's funny that so few people have their own bathroom to themselves, especially in their early twenties like me, and yet, this is the second time in my life I've had my own private bathroom. I have to say, it's like a little slice of Heaven :)
 
  On another note, I'd like to take a minute to discuss some culture. Coming from America, it is easy to think how much stuff we have, how much space we need, and how we can't live without this or that. One thing I've noticed in my many travels is how little you actually need. Granted it's very comfortable to have extra toiletries and a plethora of clothing options, but when I was in the hostel, I kept all my things locked in my suitcases and basically lived off of about a dozen pieces of clothing for a month. It's boring, but it's what worked. Now I find myself in a new bedroom (just as small as the hostel interestingly enough), and while at first I was worried because I couldn't fit myself and my two giant suitcases into the room at once, I am organizing and spreading out and I find that I can occupy this space and still have room for more! While my closet at home is huge (a half-walk-in that I share with my sister, and we still think isn't big enough to breathe in), my closet here is a quarter of the size, and I am lacking things to put in it. I know one of my quirks is packing as much as possible into as small a space as possible, with occasional spatial-relations-problems (thanks Mom ;) ) but I guess what I'm trying to say is to appreciate what you have and work with what you've got, because you can do a lot more with the space you have than you may think! And if you ever have any creative problems, just do what I do and troll through realsimple.com for some tips and ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment