Monday, May 13, 2013

Happy (Belated) Mother's Day

     Happy Mother's Day to all my child-bearing readers out there. I hope everyone enjoyed their day. Jess and I took a nice, long walk to get some fresh air and exercise after a rather lazy Saturday in. On our walk we noticed many, many families out to brunch or another meal to celebrate. Even the nasty woman we live with went out to eat, which was surprising since her family usually comes to our apartment every Sunday for dinner. Now today, obviously, Jess and I were both missing our moms big time, and our families in general. We both Skyped with them however, and I was so happy to watch my mom open her presents and tell me about her life lately. I wish I could have sent her a card, but it would only arrive in time for Father's Day- mail back and forth isn't too speedy. This holiday is a big deal here, and seemed almost as commercialized as it is back home in America. TV commercials, ads, store displays, everyone selling chocolates and spa-type supplies for el Día de la madre. Even our company suggested we create English Mother's Day cards with our kids as a warm-up activity. Mine usually ended up taking at least half the lesson to create one, but all activities are useful as long as learning (and English!) are involved. Here is the result of 40 minutes of hardcore coloring and spelling (and re-spelling, and some writing and copying) of one of my students, Cecilia (9 years old):

And here are my two elementary girls, Helena and Isabel (yes they're blonde and yes they're Chilean) hard at work on their cards:
     How do you celebrate Mother's Day, wherever you are in the world? Let us know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment