Thursday, May 2, 2013

It's Labor Day

     No, I'm not confused. In most of the rest of the world, Labor Day falls on May 1st. To celebrate, everything is closed. Yay, a day off. Oh wait, when you say closed you mean all the things we want to do with our day off are closed as well? Oh...
     I spent about 2 hours between the day before and the actual holiday walking around to different stores trying to grab some staples for the next few days. I was sadly mistaken, as each time I reached a store, it had closed 5 minutes earlier. Brisk walk to Lider, arrive at 935? Closed at 930. Run to the mall to go to Jumbo, arrive at 950? Closed at 10 but they weren't letting people in anymore. Ugh so frustrating! No indulging in any cravings, no chocolate, no Ramitas (amazing, salty, mini breadsticks), nothing. I ended up catching up on some photo editing and organizing, computer backing up-ing, and one single blogpost. I had the blues. I felt lazy and unaccomplished for the day. Blah. I'm sure most of the Chileans were celebrating and enjoying themselves, but I'm trying to save up some money for Jess's birthday party this weekend, so I stayed in.
     I did try to get a little exercise, but after lesson planning for most of the afternoon, by the time I got out of the house and on my way, it was already dark. I liked the route I had planned, but was nervous to be walking roads I didn't know by myself at night, so instead of the full 3 hours, I called it quits 50 minutes in and just doubled back on myself. Even that plan remained unaccomplished.
     One highlight of my evening was learning that my favorite show New Girl had aired again this week and I enjoyed one of the best episodes so far while having some tea in my room. Yes, I have become a convert. I wouldn't say I'm addicted or anything like that, but I do enjoy a nice, sweet cup of flavored water, beyond my usual cold tap H2O :) It's soothing and the warmth is especially nice during nights, which have become fairly chilly here in spite of the hotter temperatures during the afternoon. Originally, Jess and I had hoped to have tea and toast as our real dinner each night, but we can't bring ourselves to have such a huge meal at lunchtimes, and also, our class schedules are not very conducive to eating a lot at 2 and then nothing again til 9. Oh well.
   So, who else enjoys tea out there? Any brands I should try? And what do you do to get yourself out of a do-nothing slump? Suggestions in the comments :)

No comments:

Post a Comment